Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I am a police officer who was harassed by a tenant who lives…

Customer Question
I am a police...

I am a police officer who was harassed by a tenant who lives in section 8. I have been the complainant on several police reports. I have surviellance, pictures etc... to prove the harassement. I reported this matter to section a year ago and nothing was done. Things got so bad I let the bank take the house and left. Can I sue section 8 for failing to do anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
11/22/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Section 8, HUD, being an entity of the US government is generally statutorily exempt from lawsuits for issues like this. HUD is not liable for conduct of their tenants in general. In order to sue HUD, you first need to prove they owed some duty to you, which if you owned the house and were landlord they did owe some duty, but it is not up to HUD to evict tenants, it would be up to the landlord to evict tenants for breaching the lease. So, legally HUD would not be liable to you here for the tenant's harassment, the tenant would be civilly liable and the landlord was responsible for going through the legal eviction process to evict the tenant for breaching the lease.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.