Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

What are the best ways to find a medical malpractice

attorney in a state where...
What are the best ways to find a medical malpractice attorney in a state where one does know any attorneys, but has an excellent case?
I meant in a state where one knows zero attorneys.
11/20/2017
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

First, you may want to check with the California Bar Association, that can put you in touch with lawyer referral services in your area who can help you find a licensed malpractice attorney in your area.

The legal site, Avvo, has a listing of California medical malpractice attorneys and you can see ratings and reviews from past clients and also fellow lawyers.

You may also wish to check Martindale-Hubbell Attorney listings for medical malpractice attorneys. Look for lawyers who are either BV or AV rated, which indicates a high level of skill and professionalism.

Next, make appointments with several lawyers. Lawyers can sometimes have different opinions, so it's good to hear different viewpoints. Make sure you have medical records for them. If you have a timeline of events, that may also be helpful. Look for attorneys whose main practice is personal injury/medical malpractice, and that the firm has the resources to take the case. These cases are typically taken on contingency, meaning they don't collect a fee unless you win, but these cases are very, very expensive to litigate, so you'll need a firm that can afford it.

Due to being crippled by the doctor I'm going to need to only make appointments by telephone. How do you feel about telephone appointments? I haven't been regaled by the ones that I have been in contact with thus far.

I do a lot of phone calls with customers on this site, and I've talked to a lot of potential clients and some clients (who were disabled and had difficulty getting to the office) over the phone. While I don't necessarily think it's as "personable" as face to face, and sometimes, without seeing my face or their face, hearing just a person's tone sometimes the wrong impression can be taken, but overall I don't mind them. I personally feel like I can say what I need to do and answer questions for a client or potential client just as easily as I could with them sitting in front of me. But, not every one of my colleagues in the legal profession may share that sentiment! I can tell you that ideally, in order to give you an adequate consultation, if they are interested in possibly taking on representation, they are going to want you to get them medical records, if you have them and can for example, mail them in, or have someone drop them off.

What didn't you care for in the phone consultations?

RobertJDFL, Attorney
Thank you very much. You anwerered my questions very promptly and thoroughly. At this point in the evening my speech is unintelligible due to intubation trauma. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to appear evasive.

Oh, not at all! I didn't get that impression. I just wanted to see if I could better assist you by understanding what it was about the telephone calls that didn't work for you. If there's anything I can clarify for you or you need additional information, about my answer please feel free to reply back (there's no additional charge) Have a good Thanksgiving holiday.

Robert, I don't want you to think that I'm a career plaintiff. However, I'm in a precarious position. I'm in need of a very good legal malpractice attorney in Alabama. Please trust me I had a rogue attorney. Will it hurt my position to file and legal malpractice claim and a bark and a bar complaint at the same time? What is your best advice on this? Thank you very much. I tried to request you on a separate question with the system didn't work for me. I will tip you well for good answers I sure you. Technologically I'm in the bottom 1% in the country! LOL. Thank you very much sir. I'll look for you your response.

No, it won't hurt you at all. Two completely separate matters - the legal malpractice claim would be filed in court, while the bar complaint can be made through the Alabama Bar Association.

Is the medical malpractice also in Alabama? I gave you links to California medical malpractice lawyers because that is the state that is listed in your question on my screen, but I can update that.

No, the medical malpractice is in California.

Okay, just making sure! Didn't want to give you wrong information. :-)

Thank you very much sir. Generally speaking is a bar complaint a nightmare for an attorney especially when it's valid and has lots of Merit? I know that Medical Board complaint is a big black Cloud over a doctor. Does the analogy applying long as it does in medicine?
They can be pretty serious, yes! Attorneys can face a variety of sanctions, from a reprimand on their record to suspension or even loss of our licenses for the most serious offenses. And if Alabama is anything like Florida, any complaints remain public record for years for anyone to look up, which can be very damaging.
RobertJDFL, Attorney