Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

My Son was staying at a motel and we had reason to believe

that he might be sick...
My Son was staying at a motel and we had reason to believe that he might be sick or injured. We tried several times to reach him by being transferred through the motel desk without getting an answer on his room phone. I requested the desk attendant to give him a message to call us. I attempted to reach him again 4 hrs later without getting a response again. Approx. 5 hours later he called from the room to say he was in distress and needed an ambulance. He was taken to the ER and passed away soon there after. I went to his room and there was blood everywhere because he was bleeding from his body uncontrollably. I discovered that the phone in his room would not ring and would only flash when a call was received. The motel made no effort to check on him or to give him a message, even though I told them that he might be sick or in peril. Do they have any fault or liability in this situation that resulted in his death due to receiving medical care too late? During the 2nd call to the motel I spoke with the same person that I had 4 hrs previously. She told me that she had seen my Son walking around, spoke with him and he told her he was not feeling well but she forgot to tell him to call us. Now she denies that this conversation took place. I have a record of the time of the call to the motel (cell phone) and my wife overheard this conversation.The phone had no button or method to turn off the ringer. The room phone was not working properly. I have a cell phone video of the condition of the room, the phone not working properly (had the motel office call me on it while in the room) and a talk I had with the cleaning woman who let me into the room saying that only a few (5) of the phones in the entire motel complex of over 100 rooms worked!
11/19/2017
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. I am very sorry for your loss.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you, ***** ***** your opinion and how does LA law relate to this issue?

From a legal standpoint, it does sound like you have some good arguments for holding the motel liable, but such liability is far from guaranteed. Essentially, you would be accusing the motel of negligence for not having the phones working and/or not checking on your son when you asked them to. You would also have to convince the court that the motel has a duty to make sure their phones have ringers that work, and their employees have a duty to check on guests if they specifically tell you that they will do so.

In addition, you would have to prove that your son would not have passed away if the ringers were on, which would likely be difficult. You would need a medical expert to testify that his death could have been prevented if he had gotten help earlier.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK, that being said, when the EMTs arrived at the room, my Son was able to answer questions and was also able to answer questions on arrival at the ER. His death was due to the amount of blood he lost prior to getting medical help. Does that help make the situation more clear?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I would appreciate your honest opinion here, please don't say what you think I want to hear.

That seems to support the case that if he had gotten help sooner, he may have survived, but only a trained medical expert could say so for sure.

I do think proving the negligence of the motel would be difficult. I don't think there is any sort of duty that a motel owner must have phones with working ringers in each room. And even if the ringers did work, it would be difficult to prove that your son would have answered the phone, and would have asked the motel employee to call an ambulance (or otherwise get help).

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Sorry, for some reason this page wont let me rate your response but thanks for your help

I"m sorry for the error. You should be able to rate me now. It was a pleasure assisting you today. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin
Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer