Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

If you had a auto accident can you use your health insurance…

Customer Question
If you had a auto...
If you had a auto accident can you use your health insurance when you seek medical treatment? I know doctor require you to sign a form they will get paid when lawsuit settlement. Thus charging full price.
Does that mean doctor can not file your claim with the insurance. And what you owe them will be paid at the settlement. Instead of at the time of settlement pay the insurance back and the doctor but less.No insurance involved. Thus you end up paying more out of pocket.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
11/7/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney

Good evening.

Yes, you can use your health insurance when you seek medical treatment after a car accident. However, you will have to reimburse your health insurance if and when you settle your personal injury case. Usually a doctor only makes you sign a lien when you are not going through insurance. I suppose it's possible that they could have you sign a lien and then try to get compensated from your health insurance, but if they did that it would obviously reduce their balance and thus reduce their lien.

Is there a law or regulation. Just because you had an accident why should you be able to use your insurance and the provider/ service charge discount rate. If they did have you sign a lien protect. get the remaining copys. Otherwise free to charge enormous amounts of money take from your settlement
Doctor resistant to use insurance

You are always free to not treat with a medical provider if their lien rates are too high. Likewise, doctors are not required to treat patients, and they are free to reject the contracted health insurance rate if they think it's too low. Basically, it's up to you and the doctor to negotiate something you can both agree on.

if there is a state law or a regulation
That says we cannot use your private insurance during an accident. If you already met your annual deductible. It's beneficial to use.
It has my experience either a doctor will not see because your an litigation of auto injury. Or will Bill your insurance. (Early on)Refuse to file a claim through your insurance. So at the time of settlement charge you full price.
Is there a regulation of some kind at the time of settlement the doctor would have to negotiate charge. (Services provided to insured get discount rates, cash paying pts receive discount rates. Only auto accident victims don't?
Auto accident victims had to pay a large monthly payment to have insurance? Do you follow what Im saying.
Yes I understand filing through auto insurance medical claims.
Past that as medical bills can add up. I'm asking if by law. I want to understand legally.
For example same medical facility. Pts responsibility
one MRI 2500 not filed through insurance
& the next MRI few months later done same company. Same reason done MRI same body part.
Billed insurance 2500 adj discount 2100. PT responsibility 400. Insurance paid nothing extra. This is the same with a doctor visit/procedure in office.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I am going to go ahead and opt out and allow other attorneys to weigh in. Please do not respond to this message as doing so will take your question of the active question list and send it back to me, delaying a response from someone else. My apologies for any inconvenience.

Personal Injury Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Attorney

If "in network" your doctor has a contract with your insurance company that they will bill discounted amounts and bill the insurance company. If the doctor is not billing your insurance company, contact your insurance company about how you can submit the billing to them directly.

It could be that you have PIP or medical no-fault on your car insurance, which your doctor does not have to accept but which is also "primary" insurance, meaning your health insurance company doesn't have to pay until the car medical coverage is exhausted. If you are in that situation, then you have to submit the non-discounted bill to your car insurance company and they will pay the bills or fight with the doctor if the billing is excessive.

Auto insurance (medical is exhausted).
Bills are over 2years old. I'm with a different health insurance.(receptionist said to old to file with insurance). I never received a bill.Intentionally did not file. Now at time of settlement invoice. Bill I'm responsible for full price $10,000 (4mri's)
Rather than discount rate of 400 a piece. (1600 total minus deductible, ect). probably less than that ). If submitted to health insurance.
Is there a law or statue to protect myself

Yoo have to find out if the MRI doctor was "in network" with your old insurance company and your insurance company will know this, so contact old insurance company. If "in network" then contact law applies and the doctor was obligated to bill through your old insurance company and discount the charges. But is sounds like you signed a medical lien agreement with this doctor, if that correct? If so that means the doctor did not agree to accept the discounted payment or any payment through your old insurance and was waiting to be paid from your personal injury settlement money.

Also, as to your old insurance, most health insurance policies have a one year limit for making claims from the time service is rendered, so your old insurance company is not obligated to pay anything now.

Clear up the medical lien agreement issue with me and I can respond further.