Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Can Gross Negligence overcome charitable immunity for a

medical malpractice case? The limit...
Can Gross Negligence overcome charitable immunity for a medical malpractice case? The limit is in NJ is $250,000 and I am wondering if Gross Negligence in a medical malpractice case will allow me to sue for more (like $15,000,000)
10/18/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the NJ Statute, 2A:15-5.14, provides very specifically that No defendant shall be liable for punitive damages in any action in an amount in excess of five times the liability of that defendant for compensatory damages or $350,000, whichever is greater. The only exception would be that no cap applies to the following causes 36 of actions: civil actions for victims of bias crimes, violations of the Law Against Discrimination, unlawful disclosure of AIDS testing results, civil causes of action for sexual abuse or drunk driving.

So, unfortunately, gross negligence is not an exemption to the damage caps in NJ.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.