Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Is the money you receive in a settlement for emotional

distress, as opposed to lost...
Is the money you receive in a settlement for emotional distress, as opposed to lost wages, taxable? The defendant gave me two checks...one for lost wages and a second that is for emotional distress. I don't think the compensation for emotional distress is taxable, but I just want to confirm with someone else. Thanks
10/13/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is the money you receive in a settlement for emotional distress, as opposed to lost wages, taxable?

.

No, emotional distress compensation is non taxable, only compensation for lost income, like wages, is taxable.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney