Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I had a jewelry box taken from my house. I have personal…

I had a jewelry box...
I had a jewelry box taken from my house. I have personal property insurance under home owners. I know it had to be one of five girls who clean here. I talked to the owner and she has no insurance but is willing to pay me $xxxx of money to cover the cost. Should I do this or file a claim with my homeowners. I have no pictures and will get only what they decide the jewelry is worth. It is gold, vintage from my grandmother.
10/11/2017
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Your homeowner's insurance typically will only give you what you can prove was in the box at the time of the loss. They will not pay anything for sentimental value. Not having any pictures could present a problem. And it's possible that your rates will increase if you file a claim through them. Still, you may want to call the insurance company and ask how much they would give you, then see how much your rates would go up. It's possible that you'd get more from them than the owner, and you probably want to have the numbers in front of you before making a decision. If you decide not to proceed with the claim, you'll be able to cancel it.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

How do you prove what was in the box when it is only my word, no pictures? The service is willing to pay me $2000. It was worth that but I feel bad about the owner do so.

I understand why you feel bad, but if the owner had more carefully vetted the employees, it's possible this wouldn't have happened. Part of the problem is, if you go to court, you won't have the proof you need. You might be able to establish that one of the girls took the money, but you can't prove which one. And you also can't prove what was in there. So, if you tried to sue, you'd probably get nothing.

Ask the insurance company what they need. It's possible that they'll accept just a description of the items, depending on how much money you're asking for.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney