Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I have made a terrible mistake and now some one is

Customer Question
I have made a...

I have made a terrible mistake and now some one is threatening to post a bad video of me if i dont pay them

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet, they are online talking to me now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
10/3/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney

Hello and welcome. I'm very sorry to hear about this. What is your question, specifically?

Some one recorded video and is blackmailing me to pay them money or they will post it

Thank you for clarifying the situation. Did you have a question you would like to ask?

What can I do to stop this

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to stop it short of having the police bust down this person's door and put them in jail. That is exceedingly unlikely, as the police do not have the resources for such operations, and these people can be very hard to track down, often operating from foreign countries.

The only thing you can really do is cut off contact with the blackmailer. You can't pay them money because if you do they will just keep asking for more and more. There will be no end to it. Their power over you is the threat of releasing the video, but by cutting off all contact you are taking away that power, forcing them to call their bluff. Is there still a chance they could release the video to "spite" you? Yes. But that possibility simply CANNOT be eliminated. There is no "good" option here, there are simply options of varying degrees of badness. The "least bad" option is to not give this person any money (so at least they don't win on that front) and cut off all contact. There is a chance they won't even be bothered to release the video at all, since at this point they would be doing it just to hurt you and not to gain anything. Remember, their power is in the THREAT, not the actual releasing of the video. Once the video is "out of the bag," they have absolutely no leverage at all, so they don't want that.