Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

A couple weeks ago, at around midnight I opened my door to…

Customer Question
A couple weeks ago, at...
A couple weeks ago, at around midnight I opened my door to go to the store and one of my neighbors was waking her dog on the street. My dog saw her dog so she ran out barking but never touched her dog or her. My dog stopped on my yard about 3 feet away from her and her dog just to bark. My neighbor got scared and fell backward. I helped her up and she complained of knee pain. I asked her 3 times if I should call an ambulance when it happened. She refused. My boyfriend and i helped her get home. My boyfriend then went over there the next day to see if she was okay and she said she went to the hospital that day and had torn ligaments on her knee but her and her husband were not suing or anything and everything was okay between us. But then a week later I have a note on my door from animal control saying to call them. I call and they had called saying my dog jumped on her and BROKE HER HIP and they are suing. Although my dog never touched her. My question is what should I be worried about being sued for since her claims are false and there were no witnesses. Yes my dog scared her and she fell back (she is about 70) but my dog did not leave my yard or touch her. Also since she refused an abulance when it happened how is it going to be proved my dog hurt her if she did not go to the dr till next day. She couldve hurt herself between that time.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
This is on California.
10/2/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes, she is setting you up for a law suit and is hoping that animla control will write a report that is negative to you.

You are likely going to be sued and the neighbor is making false statements about how it happened. You must take this seriously because she has taken these steps.

If you are a homeowner or have renter's insurance contact your insurance company. Your liability coverage may very well cover this for you. Also gather your evidence and write up a summary of what happened so that you will have a clearer memory if it becomes necessary later on.

If she is not in fact seriously hurt this will be a nuisance suit for a quick settlement. If she is seriously hurt it can become much more expensive. BUT if you have insurance coverage they insurance company will hire the attorney and pay the bills.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer