Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I have been blackmailed and am embarrassed and I am not sure…

Customer Question
Hi, I have been blackmailed...
Hi, I have been blackmailed and am embarrassed and I am not sure what to do
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
9/28/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Recently, people who ask a question like yours are the target of a sextortion scam. It's very popular and we get several questions about it from victims every day. So I will go with the odds and guess that you were chatting online with someone who enticed you into exchanging explicit videos or photographs of yourself. Now you fiind yourself being blackmailed. Maybe you got a call from a so-called angry parent saying that the girl was a minor and demanding money. Or maybe the girl herself told you that she will expose you.

Either way, you have nothing real to worry about. THIS IS A SCAM and it's all about intimidatiing you into sending your money to a blackmailer. But blackmailers never strike just once. Once you give them money, they will want more and more and more and more and more of it.

You need to cease all contact with them and not to pay them any money at all. Block all of their correspondence. Don't believe any of their threats.

What they are doing is a crime. Nobody with any criminal experience will tell you that you ought to pay these thieves any money.

As far as exposing you goes, the odds are almost 100% that they will do nothing if you call their bluff. They get nothing out of publishing your video or of reporting you to the police. They only benefit if their threats scare you into paying money. Once it doesn't scare you, there isn't much they can really do.

There is no place they can publish a sexually explicit video where any of your friends and family will see it. Facebook won't allow it. YouTube and other social media won't allow sexually explicit videos either. They could post it on a porn site, but if they do, nobody you know will ever see it.

And, as many times as we hear this story, we have yet to learn of one occasion where the scammers actually published the video or informed the police. The last thing they would ever do is come forward to the authorities to file a complaint. Creeps who do this are criminals and they have to stay anonymous.

In short, stop listening to their threats. Block them. Cease all contact with them. Don't pay them any money. They are criminals and predators. The odds are overwhelming that they will do absolutely nothing. Their only power real power lies in threats.

It wasn’t over he internet, and I could explain better in a private call, but after reading your reply, you are likely right.

Sorry for the delay. I've been away from my computer for a few hours.

I'm sure I'm right about one thing, which is that you NEVER pay a blackmailer. Paying them doesn't solve the problem. It just creates more serious problems. Being scared is bad enough. Being scared and broke is worse.

If you want a call, that's an optional premium service requiring an additional fee. You should see an option for a call if you want one. If you don't see that, I can send you the information about it. Or we can continue to chat here.

Ok, Can you send me the info?
For he call? I may chose to do that

Sure thing. I have sent you the information. If you're interested you can accept the terms. If you're not, just delete it. I do have a customer I must call in about 10 minutes, so the call probably wouldn't take place for an hour or so, or at a later time convenient to you.

No problem, it will be a few minutes until I can call

I'm off the phone now.

Zoey, Can I contact you later? I am not going to be able to get some privacy currently.

Yes, of course. I will be available and online most of the afternoon and evening.

Thanks!

No problem!