Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Total right knee replacement May, 2016. Day following

Total right knee replacement...

Total right knee replacement May, 2016. Day following surgery hemovac drain broke during attempted removal. Returned to surgery immediately for removal. Dismissed from hospital, underwent physical therapy. Årea of hemovac valve removal never seemed quite right. Surgeon said it would eventually return to normal. It didn't. Sought second opinion--March, 2017 underwent revision surgery. Plastic biomet device removed and replaced--large unidentified mass removed from area of hemovac drain removal site.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes.

9/20/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Thank you. I need a response regarding pursuing legal counsel.

Unfortunately, not all medical procedures have the desired outcome. Not all side effects from surgery or medical procedures can be basis for a malpractice suit. In order to sue for malpractice, you need to prove via expert testimony that the actions of the prior treating doctor was below the reasonable standard of care in treating you/

So, you need to get this mass identified, because if the doctor did not fully remove the drain when it broke, that would be malpractice and the doctor would be liable for the pain and suffering and any additional losses caused by them not fully removing the broken drain and missing a piece in there. You do need a medical expert and the hospital should have examined the mass they removed and identified it in the pathology lab and you need to get those records and you need a local new medical expert to review it, because you cannot file a medical malpractice suit without a medical expert in GA.

Start with getting the pathology records to identify the object, then you need to get to a local medical expert to review the medical records and if they find this as negligence (it will be negligent if a foreign object was not fully removed), then you can get a local medical malpractice attorney in the city where this occurred or from a nearby large city to where it happened from the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.superlawyers.com or http://www.hg.org

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.