Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

A landlord like to set up a public website to explain about…

Customer Question
A landlord like to set...
A landlord like to set up a public website to explain about a civil lawsuit, and he would like to say the following and see it would be ok:
- His tenants thought the rental house was not clean, but ignored his attempts to inspect/clean.
- As far as he knows these tenants didn't complain to the city about rental house uninhabitable, but instead obtained an pro bono attorney and sent him an demanding letter saying the rental house was uninhabitable. (these tenants are military family, so they have access to no cost pro bono attorney)
- These tenants and their pro bono attorney filed civil lawsuit against this landlord demanding lots of money without proof of damages. (the wife of this military family told this landlord at their first meeting that how much how much she loves the kind of luxury cars that this landlord is driving. They had to buy a less expensive car)
- Soon after the lawsuit was settled and dismissed, this pro bono attorney was rated the highest on a lawyer rating website, and was promoted the partner of his law firm (that lawyer rating website requires some pro bono hours for highest rating, and his law firm may require pro bono hours to be considered partner).Thanks for your advice.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
9/15/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, I would be careful about putting this information online. The reason is because it could be considered defamation if anything you say is wrong. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.)

If it does, then the you, as the defendant, may have some defenses. Here are the typical defenses in a defamation case:

(1) Legislative Privilege - Meaning the statement was made in a legislative proceeding

(2) Judicial Privilege - any participant in a judicial proceeding the absolute privilege to utter defamatory statements

(3) Executive Privilege - privilege affords an absolute privilege to high ranking executive officers of state and federal governments when acting within the scope of their discretionary duties

(4) Domestic Privilege - affords a spouse the absolute privilege to make defamatory statements about a third person to their spouse.

(5) Truth - if the statements you made were true, then this is a defense as well

(6) Opinion - courts have ruled that the opinion defense is one where if you provide your opinion, then a defamation charge will not stand.

Based on what you provided, it is possible that much of it is true, but it would be harder to claim that any of it is an opinion at all, and the other areas may not apply. My suggestion? Don’t put it up.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.