Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

After being on the run for 10 years, my ex was recently

After being on the...

After being on the run for 10 years, my ex was recently arrested (in Santa Clara County, California) for parental abduction of our two children. She harassed me during those years by calling and stalking me on the internet. Can I sue for emotional distress in California?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

See note above

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
legalg
legalg, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am very sorry to hear this; can you tell me if this occurred during a marriage, or was it post marriage, or were the parties never married?

after divorce
Charges of parental kidnapping were filed in Santa Clara County in 2006. My ex is pleading guilty there to felony parental kidnapping on September, 22.

Thank you for your patience;

The CA case, Rosefield v. Rosefield, did establish a basis for a parent to sue another parent for punitive damages and emotional distress when it came to pain suffered due to the kidnapping of a minor child.

This was reaffirmed in Kajtazi v. Kajtazi

When a party pleads (or is found) guilty in a criminal case, the civil courts can take "judicial notice" of that conviction plea, since the civil courts have a lower burden of proof. That means the plaintiff in the civil case need not prove anything in order to prevail.

Additionally - while criminal statutes provide for penalties (ie - https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=278.)

the court may order the offender to pay "restitution" to their victim/family as part of the sentencing.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/victim_services/docs/Prison_Restitution_Survey_Appendix.pdf

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=1202.4

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Would it be hard to find a lawyer who would represent me in this on a contingency basis?

It is hard to say-the best thing to do is to call around to attorneys in your area. If you google your specific county, put "___ county bar association, attorney referral" and there is usually a link to local attorneys. You can also do the same thing but put "---- county (or ___ city) contingency fee attorney"

This may help

I certainly wish you the best and hope you can find a good attorney.

legalg
legalg, Attorney