Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Can I sue my mother in law for causing emotional distress in…

Can I sue my mother...
Can I sue my mother in law for causing emotional distress in our family. We also helped buy her house and fixed it and help with the mortgage payment
8/30/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

What has she done?

She has enabled my teenage son. She allows him to run to her house when he doesn't agree. We can't discipline because he then just leaves. I also help her buy her house with money I put down and paid a lot of expensives. I also helped pay the rent for a 18 months. The mortgage is under her name. I am pissed that I have done this for her and now stands in the way of me raising my son.
i can't call now I want to get info through here. My wife wouldn't be happy

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, while there is a cause of action for intentional infliction of emotional distress, it generally requires an act on the part of the defendant so outrageous that it "shocks the conscience of the court". The classic law school example is shooting someone's dog in front of them to hurt them.

Additionally, the court would want to see some physical or psychological manifestation of damage, such as a need for counseling.

What you are describing does not sound as if it meets the burden of the prima facie case to make a viable claim.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA.