Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

What is the amount in controversy when suing a nursing home?

Customer Question

Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I need a little bit more information regarding your case. Usually, when people are talking about the amount in controversy that typically means that a federal court needs a minimum amount in controversy before they are able to hear particular case. Could you provide me a little bit more background?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure, nursing home resident was in distress an employee saw no qualified person take action. It is believed that the on staff doctor had a breakdown & refused to take immediate action. The elderly man passed away.

You know, perhaps I'm a little bit dense today, but could you help me understand what specific questions you had about this.Is somebody suing the doctor because the elderly man passed away?,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the estate sues the doctor & the nursing home for damages due to their negligence what is the maximum amount of money the law will allow them to recover?

Thank you very much for clarifying According to a trusted source, “In Texas, punitive damages may not exceed more than two times the amount of economic damages plus the amount equal to non-economic damages not to exceed $750,000 or $200,000, whichever is greater.For instance, if someone sues a corporation for a brain injury case after suffering an injury due to gross negligence and this person is awarded $1.5 million to cover economic loss and $3 million to cover non-economic loss, then the total amount possible for punitive damages would be $3,750,000 (two times $1.5 million plus the $750,000 maximum amount from non-economic damages).”

Did you have any other questions for me? If not, were you satisfied with your service today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What economic damages could an elderly person living in a nursing home have?