Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I have copd because of living with people who smoked ...How

Customer Question
do I go about collecting...
I have copd because of living with people who smoked ...How do I go about collecting from the master payments settlements offer by big tobacco?
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: What do I need to do to apply?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am 65 and living off of social security.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
7/23/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

There is a lot of misinformation currently out there about the tobacco settlement from several years back (the "Master Settlement Agreement, or MSA) because lately, a company has been advertising on television and giving people the impression that if they or a family member was a smoker, they are entitled to funds from the settlement. Unfortunately, that is not at all the case. In fact, it's a scam.

Indeed, attorney generals for Washington state, California, Nevada, and West Virginia have all issued warnings recently about the online scam, which offers consumers “guaranteed” tax-free payments of $2,300 every month from the settlement, forever. These offers appear to be aimed at retirees, framed as an “opportunity” for individuals to claim “a tax-free portion of this settlement,” even if neither they nor anyone in their family has ever smoked.

But in order to get that money, consumers first have to subscribe to a newsletter promoted by a company called Money Morning, which ostensibly offers investment advice with information on how to invest in state or local bonds backed by settlement payments.

It costs a monthly fee of anywhere from $5 to the first month to $129, and requires subscribers to provide a credit card number. Once you’ve done so, it’s difficult to make the charges stop, the AGs warn.

What this all comes down to is a scam: There are no provisions in the MSA that would require the tobacco companies or any state to pay individuals for their loss.

If you’ve noticed this scam or have been a victim, you should notify your state’s Attorney General.

What the MSA does do: Along with requiring the tobacco industry to fork over billions of dollars every year for the indefinite future, the Master Settlement Agreement also set standards for, and imposed restrictions on, the sale and marketing of cigarettes. For example, companies can’t use cartoons or any other kid-friendly advertising, put ads outside or in transit, place their products in media or branded merchandise, and most sponsorships are prohibited.

Now, that's not to say that you couldn't talk to a lawyer about suing the tobacco companies for the health damages you have suffered. While I'm not aware of any current class action suits, there are thousands of lawsuits ongoing in any number of states against the tobacco companies. It's not easy litigation -tobacco companies have lots of money and fight tooth and nail to defend themselves. So litigation can take years before you see anything, and it's a guarantee that if they don't settle and go to trial and lose, that the tobacco companies will appeal, dragging out any potential payout further.

I don't tell you this to discourage you. Rather, I want you to be aware of the realities that there isn't some payment right around the corner for you to claim, unfortunately.

Please let me know if I can clarify any information or provide you with more information. If I have fully answered your question, I would ask that you kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page so I am credited for my time and assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney