Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

How could my wife get a settlement from tobacco companies?

Customer Question

How could my wife get a settlement from tobacco companies? She has COPD. Thanks
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We lived in New York and now in North Carolina since 2010
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Someone must be putting out misinformation, since you are perhaps the 4th person today and maybe the 100th person in the last week asking this question.
The tobacco settlement fund is a fund set up for each state through the state attorney generals offices in each state that participated in the tobacco suit. The money is for each state to use as they see fit for healthcare programs for tobacco related illnesses and for smoking cessation programs. The money is NOT to make claims against for victims of the tobacco related illnesses to make claims against.
If someone has a tobacco related illness, they need to file a suit against the tobacco company directly through a tobacco product liability attorney and pursue your claim with proof of medical records and that the cause was related to tobacco use.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.