How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 12801
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a wealthy older boyfriend that has given me the kind

Customer Question

I have a wealthy older boyfriend that has given me the kind of HPV that causes anal and cervical cancer in perpetuity. Suggestions?
JA: In what state did the injury take place? And do you have medical records or other documentation?
Customer: CA
JA: Has anything been filed? If so, what?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was extensively tested and came down with the particularly bad strains of HPV.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Men are not normally tested for HPV and most men who have it are unaware they do because they show no symptoms. You would have to show that this boyfriend was aware he was carrying the disease and and still slept with you. Secondly, there is a problem with causation. Since a majority of the population carries one strand or another of HPV, and since the disease can stay in your system for years, you would have a difficult time proving that you got the disease from this particular boyfriend and not from someone else. Finally is the damages problem. Although it may surprise you, the risk of harm--even serious harm--is not enough. Just as you cannot sue the driver of a car who runs a red light and almost hits you, you cannot sue in this circumstance for a disease you may have almost gotten. You would need to actually be diagnosed with one of the diseases that can stem from HPV in order to have any significant damages, and thus, grounds to pursue litigation.

All of these hurdles would make it extremely difficult to pursue any sort of legal claim under the circumstances. You can certainly retain an attorney and send a demand letter. But if that is ignored, I think it's very unlikely you'll find counsel willing to represent you on a contingency fee basis, which means you would need to fund the litigation out of pocket. As that can get very expensive, it is probably not advised.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.