Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
60109343

Why would an insurance company pay the claim before court is

Customer Question

Why would an insurance company pay the claim before court is resolved
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your new question. By "court" are you referring to a criminal proceeding?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
District court, class B misdemeanor, and the insurance company is aware that I have pled not guilty and have hired a lawyer for my defense

Thank you.

They might pay the claim because the claim relates to the potential CIVIL cause of action stemming from the matter. That is completely distinct from the criminal matter. It is judged by a different standard of proof ("more likely than not" rather than "beyond reasonable doubt") and has no connection to the criminal matter at all. The insurance company can choose to pay or not pay any claim as it sees fit. Paying the claim is actually good in the sense that it means you won't be sued in civil court for what happened. Payment of the claim is conditioned on the signing of a release of claims, which means that it's the end of the civil matter.

I hope this answers your question.