Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Second opinion] I was in a car accident last May hit from

Customer Question

Second opinion] I was in a car accident last May hit from behind sitting at a red light. A guy fell asleep at the wheel and hit me in the rear. My back was hurt and needed medical attention. The insurance adjuster is offering me a settlement, consisting of the medical expenses and lost wages. I feel the amount is too low. How do I know what to ask for?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your accident.

You're entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, AND pain and suffering. When you get a settlement from a car insurance company after an accident, you have to repay your medical insurance company for any amounts they spent on your behalf. This is true for all insurance providers in the U.S., including Medicare. That means you're right - what they're offering is too low.

The general rule of thumb for negotiating pain and suffering is 3-5 times the medical bills. If you can get a doctor to state that you'll have future pain with this, that may help you increase the total. If they refuse to be reasonable, you have a right to seek a lawyer to help you sue the other driver. Most lawyers take these types of cases on contingency, so you only pay when you win.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?