richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

I had a case in 2001 in which I felt a judge refused my

Customer Question

I had a case in 2001 in which I felt a judge refused my rights to counsel and, as a result, I was arrested and jailed until the appeal. I understand this was a while ago but, recently, while trying to shield the case that has caused significant emotional stress over the past 15 years, the request was denied.In reading this article, I learn about statutes that protect against disclosure of 'tax returns.' That made me think that there may be privacy laws out there that could restrict state governments from publicly disclosing information publicly - especially when the case had questionable details.http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/entertainmentnews/howard-stern-sued-for-broadcasting-womans-conversation-with-irs/ar-AAmWoif?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignoutUnder what statutes would tax return privacy fall under and could similar statutes apply to court records including private information.And, if the court won't shield a case that was won on appeal, does that open them up to possible damages?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 5 months ago.

Court records are public documents, both civil and criminal. Tax records are not, unless they become part of the discovery process. This is the method some of Donald Trump's opponents are using to get his tax records -- they get involved in litigation with him and then formally request copies of his tax returns in a discovery request. Generally, the only court documents that are sealed and kept from the public are juvenile matters and other matter involving minor children. Sometimes discovery is sealed if it contains proprietary secrets. Also, judges and courts have immunity from suits for damages for the actions they take as part of doing the court's business.