How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Attorney at Law
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 344
Experience:  Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm pregnant and my husband attackedme physically he also

Customer Question

Hi I'm pregnant and my husband attackedme physically he also threatened to kill my parents I taped him and he figured it out and took my phone from me when I was trying to call 911. I went into the house to and took my mother in laws phone to call the police and she ran after me made the neighbors call the police on me.
JA: In what state did the injury take place? And do you have medical records or other documentation?
Customer: in PA
JA: Has anything been filed? If so, what?
Customer: No records it just happened and the police said they can't do anything because I have no proof, because he deleted everything. We have a construction worker at the house he saw everything and didn't help me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the police that came but they basically made me leave because it's her house
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What can I do to protect myself and my child from him and his mother. She has done this previously to his ex wife took her 3 children and wouldn't even let him raise them. She is slandering my character to other people and let's him beat me. He beat me August 20th and she said that was the best day of her life.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am Austrian can I get help from the Austrian Embassy in the states?
Expert:  Marc replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your questions. First of all, I am very sorry for what you are going through. I cannot imagine how distraught you must feel.

Your primary, and advisable, option is to go personally to the police station. If you have no transportation, then call 911. If your husband still has your phone and won't give it back to you, ask a neighbor or anyone else to call.

The police must respond immediately by (1) arresting your husband and (2) having the court immediately issue an order of protection. Without knowing all pertinent details, it appears to me that your husband could be charged with assault and child endangerment (not to mention petty theft for taking your phone). An order of protection should require your husband to stay away from you, your house and your workplace, as well as prohibiting from contacting you.

Do you live with your mother-in-law? If so, you may still be able to get an order of protection against her. In her case, though, the order may not require her to leave the house if it is her residence. Your husband, on the other hand, would have to leave. These orders are typically effective for 30 or more days, and are renewable. If your husband violates the order, by visiting or even just texting you, he can be arrested and charged with contempt of court.

If you live in your own house, you need an order of protection against both your husband and mother-in-law with maximum restrictions on their ability to contact you or your children. You should also ask the police to refer you to any local domestic abuse assistance service. Such services are often provided by local law enforcement.

The Austrian embassy would not be of much assistance here because only the State of PA has jurisdiction over a domestic abuse case such as this.

Please be safe and strong. I hope this information is of some use to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Meanwhile, I wish you good luck and peace.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We live in her house, the police was of no help. She basically made them tell me to leave the house. I have nothing. I left a few days ago to remove myself from this hostile situation. Went back to get some of my items. He went and advertised out personal business to his friend then I was attacked. His mother just lets it happen and of course defense him after threatening my life my child's life and my parents life. How is it that the police does not help me. I also recorded the conversation with the police from the beginning and I also told the officer that he is taking sides and I won't talk to him because of that. So he changed his attitude with me after that. It is a crazy situation. How can someone's mother allow this? And how come I have no rights? I have not one person in this country
Expert:  Marc replied 10 months ago.

This is crazy! I cannot imagine why the police are so unresponsive!

Where did you move to? Is it secure? Are you and your kids safe there? You absolutely do have rights, but it's up to the police to protect them. I assume you have internet access. So, I suggest you look up the prosecutor for your city/town/county and call that office. Also, search for domestic abuse services near you - try using search terms like "domestic abuse hotline" or "domestic abuse help". Here's one resource for PA: ***-***-****.

You don't need to be alone in this. There are resources out there. Call them and get someone on your side who is local and who can be your advocate in all of this.

I hope this helps. Good luck.


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. I went to a hotel. Yes the police here does that all the time. My neighbors called the police before because my husband beat me outside and then threatened the neighbor and the police didn't do anything about it either. I will call the number thank you
Expert:  Marc replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. I know you have a lot on your mind, but please take a moment to rate my answer, as that is the only way I can get credit. But no rush - take care of yourself first!


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will. Thanks again
Expert:  Marc replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. Attached are a few documents that you might find useful.