Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I need two cases (with details) that represent the most

recent (and largest) awards for...
I need two cases (with details) that represent the most recent (and largest) awards for anxiety and (or) any neurological disorders in the state of New Jersey as a result of automobile accident. Thanks
10/19/2016
Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your request. First, please keep in mind that personal injury cases where anxiety or depression or other similar psychic injuries are the only alleged injuries are fairly uncommon because they are not likely to fetch significant awards. Most cases allege at least one related physical injury, such as concussion or spinal injury, since injuries to these body parts can cause neurological disorders.

With that in mind, I have listed below cases, including details, awards and citations, for a few NJ cases. As you will see, some are not necessarily auto-related accidents, and most allege physical injuries in addition to anxiety and other neurological disorders. Together, they should give you some idea as to the value range for an auto case with psychic injuries only. Also, please be advised that I cannot guarantee that these are the most recent or largest awards, although I did focus my search according to your criteria.

VERBA vs. FLEMINGTON DEPT STORE, ET AL; 2015 NJ Jury Verdicts Review LEXIS 297 Docket no. HNT-L-200-13 December 17, 2015:

This is not an auto case, but it is significant because the plaintiff alleged only psychic injuries and there were no objective findings of physical injuries. The plaintiff, a customer at the defendant department store, allegedly suffered electrical injury when a hanger she was holding inadvertently struck an electrified portion of a display case.

The plaintiff maintained that she sustained a brain injury along with psychiatric trauma as a result of the shock. She contended that as a result of the accident she was left with permanent cognitive and personality dysfunction, along with memory loss, depression, and anxiety. The plaintiff asserted that after the incident, she could no longer run her local business. The plaintiff further produced two fact witnesses who attested to the stark change in the plaintiff's personality noted after the incident.

The defendants' insurance carrier, made a settlement offer of $450,000. The plaintiff initially rejected the offer; however, several months later, the plaintiff indicated she would accept the offer. At that time, the carrier advised it had rescinded the offer, and lowered the offer to settle to $100,000. Prior to trial, the offer was increased to $ 250,000. After almost a two week trial, and about an hour into jury deliberations, a settlement in the amount of $675,000 was reached, $ 225,000 more than the previously withdrawn settlement offer.

---

LOUIE vs. KULGOD; 2015 NJ Jury Verdicts Review LEXIS 333 Docket No. SOM-L-1236-15 November 5, 2015:

In this head-on collision case, the driver of the plaintiff's car was killed. Plaintiff was the driver's daughter. The daughter/passenger contended that she sustained severe emotional distress as a result of witnessing the death of her mother. The plaintiff's examining psychiatrist discussed an Adjustment Disorder that has continued to cause anxiety, depression, nightmares and flashbacks of the event. The plaintiff's psychiatrist offered a guarded prognosis. The parties agreed to resolve the matter in September 2015 for the $ 1.5 million.

----

Renee Tortoriello v. Friends Brick Pavers & Landscaping LLC, et al.; 2015 Jury Verdicts LEXIS 12436 OCN-L-1298-13 and OCN-L-1565-13 September 17, 2015:

In this auto case, the plaintiff alleged typical soft-tissue physical injuries (neck, back and knee), but there was no objective evidence of injury (i.e., the only evidence was plaintiff's subjective claim that he was in pain).

Plaintiff's primary complaint was residual consequences from his blunt-force head injury. He lost consciousness at the scene of the accident and has no recollection of anything until he arrived at the emergency room, although an ambulance attendant recalled him being somewhat lucid during the ambulance ride to the hospital.

Plaintiff followed up with a neurologist, who attempted to treat him in connection with a diagnosis of post-traumatic adjustment disorder. He exhibited persistent symptoms of irritability, headaches, blurred vision, and dizziness. The headaches, vision, and vertigo symptoms eventually resolved, but plaintiff continued to be prone to panic attacks, particularly when riding as a passenger in a vehicle. He was left with residual problems with concentration, word selection, and a tendency toward irritability. He also complained of continued shoulder pain and weakness. He received no specific treatment for these symptoms.

Outcome: plaintiff settled for $60,000.

I hope these cases are of some assistance to you. If satisfied, please feel free to rate my answer, as that is the only way I can receive credit. Otherwise, please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best regards,

Marc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Marc, This is for academic work. I need only auto with large award, you my include soft tissue insjuries along with any other neurological/ post traumatic disorders. So far, you gave me one. Please give me one more or two if you have. Many thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked for most recent, please go back a few years if that makes it easier. Thanks again
No problem. I'll be able to find several on-point cases for you. Just give me a few hours. I'll respond by about noon ET.
Marc

Ok - attached are digests of several cases, with the more on-point cases first. I'm not sure what your "large reward" requirement means, so the rewards vary quite a bit. I omitted cases involving fractures and surgery. Such injuries are often required for awards to reach into the six-figure level. There are exceptions, of course. I also omitted cases in which one of the passengers died. While psychic injuries in those cases typically receive large rewards, they are based on trauma from witnessing the death of a loved one.

I hope these cases are satisfactory for your purposes. If you want me to perform a further refined search, please let me know.

Best regards,

Marc Sherman

Cases attached.

Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I'll request you from now on. I'll be back

My pleasure. I look forward to assisting you again. Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and close out this request. And thank you for your rating!

Cheers,

Marc