Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I have a social media defamation situation going on. As a

Customer Question
real estate professional, being a...
I have a social media defamation situation going on. As a real estate professional, being a public figure, I have an individual attempting to slander my reputation for no reason other than disagreeing with her on a political post. I have taken screen shots of the derogatory things she has said, i.e threatening to tarnish my reputation and then again when she actually made a public post calling for people to boycott my services and calling me a "woman-hating pig"
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I understand there is a protocol to follow and it starts with a cease and desist letter, correct? Washington State
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I have received requests from individuals in her circle (which I can only imagine are to further ad to this) and one other of her friends looking for other means to help tarnish my name
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
10/12/2016
Personal Injury Lawyer: Stacy Adkins, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer

Hello, thanks for using Just Answer. I'm Stacy and will be assisting you this evening. I have read you comments about your situation. You are correct. Your first course of action could be to speak to this person and ask them to remove the postings. Report them to facebook (if that's where it occurred). They are usually pretty good about removing stuff that has no substantive value. If that doesn't work or you've already tried that, then yes, a cease and desist letter is a good next step before getting the court system involved. Here is a sample letter. You would modify this to remove the attorney info if you want to send it yourself and you'd want to cite your state's specific law on the issue. If that doesn't work, then its probably time to consult with a local attorney and try the legal route in filing a civil suit for defamation.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please kindly accept my answer and leave a positive rating. This is the only way experts are compensated for their time on Just Answer. I'm also happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have. If you have none, I wish you luck with your situation! Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sending the letter out today but...Should sending the letter from myself be as effective as having it sent by an attorney? I know more weight can be added by an attorney, I'm just curious if there's any merit to having it sent by me.

Regardless of who sends letter, the message is clear -- you mean business. However, if you have any lawyer friends or can find an attorney who will send it for no or a low fee, it may scare her a little more. But I wouldn't spend a lot of money up front to send the letter. I'd save that for the worst case scenario if she doesn't stop the defamation.

Just following up to see if you had any additional questions. If not, please kindly accept my answer. This is the only way experts are compensated on this site as we are independent contractors. Thank you!

Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins
Stacy Adkins, Lawyer