How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 12479
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was on a party boat that hit a submerger rock in Missouri

Customer Question

I was on a party boat that hit a submerger rock in Missouri river drifting 5 mph bump my med bill fell down was 500.00 they have offered to pay bill could I sue for more
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nebraska
JA: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, it would certainly be possible to sue for more, as a personal injury claimant is entitled to compensation for their pain and suffering in addition to simply their medical bills. You can sue in small claims court on your own and obtain up to $3,600, which is the maximum recoverable amount in small claims. Alternatively, if your injuries are more serious than the $500 in medical expenses would seem to suggest, you can retain an attorney and sue in general civil court. Realistically, you cannot sue in general civil court without an attorney because the procedure is far too complicated to understand on your own.

See here for information on how to file a small claims court action in Nebraska. Before you file suit, be it in small claims or general civil court, it would typically be prudent to explain to the insurance company that you will have to file suit unless they offer more. The mere threat of a lawsuit may cause them to substantially increase their offer.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....