How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 33404
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Personal Injury Trial Law, Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This happened to my freind, had an accident hit by a truck

Customer Question

this happened to my freind, had an accident hit by a truck in texas while driving in the car by other person ,they called 911 and 911 took all people including my freind(not injured either externally or internally & can walk perfectly alright at the time of accident and later) , his parents,sister and a baby(no injuries) in ambulance to emergency and examined.
though my freind was telling that he is fine , they made him sit in a strtcher and tok to hospital , took some test and sent back home.
Now the problem is he does not have any insurance at the time of accident and the charges for the treatment is huge and he is not in a state of repaying the amount, is there any way that he can negotiate or bring down the treatment amount , please suggest how can he work on this situation.
Note:- he is upset with the bills as he told the 911 people that he is alright but they forced him to come with them as other people involved in accident (his sister & mother) had few fractures and road rashes & were bleeding . and they are charging him also and not even covered by Car insurance as he is perfectly alright.Thanks & regards,
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Yes, there are a number of things he can do. The most effective thing he can do is hire a lawyer that does bankruptcy work to negotiate for him and threaten that he is going to take a bankruptcy if they don't agree to a reduction. Of course, the disadvantage to this is that the lawyer will charge a fee. Please note that I am not saying he should actually file a bankruptcy, although that would wipe the debt out, I'm just saying he uses a lawyer that threatens bankruptcy.

Next, he can get an itemized statement of what he is being charged for and ask the hospital if they will accept the amount Medicare would have paid. He can go to the search at this link:

and there will be several websites that allow him to determine, based on the code, how much Medicare will pay. He can then offer them that much.

The third thing to try is that many medical providers take part in a program whereby they write off the bills for a person that is uninsured. There are a number of these programs and he can find the websites of several of them by going to this Google search:

He also needs to check and see if the car in which he was riding had PIP or Medical Payments insurance. Either of those will help with the bills.

When he is writing to the hospital on all of these he can also mention that he had not felt the need to be treated and told everyone involved that he didn't want to be treated and yet he was forced into it. He can mention, although it is much better if he uses a lawyer to mention this, that he will file a complaint with the state licensing board based on this.

He can also hire a lawyer that does personal injury work to make a claim on the liability insurance of the person who was at fault in the wreck.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Personal. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

And I have handled thousands of these types of cases and these are the methods that have generally worked the best.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions