How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1123
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested at a very important political meeting (I was

Customer Question

I was arrested at a very important political meeting (I was running for City Council) and my phones, iPad and car were taken from me. I was surrounded by many undercover cops and many uniformed cops (California Hwy Patrol). I was accused of a hit and run homicide that occurred a week prior. They would not tell me who accused me, but that the person actually saw ME, and I was named by first and last name, in MY car, actually run over the woman on the freeway and kept driving. They told me I cannot get a copy of the report and they don't need to tell me who accused me. I have all reason to believe it was a political set up. In California, do I have a right to know who accused me and to get a copy of the report. In the paper, it NEVER listed that they had a suspect, either, which also makes it seem a set up. What are my legal rights. I had a nervous breakdown during this time I was under investigation, I could not work. I was afraid to drive when I finally got my car back, I could not sleep, eat, function, went into deep depression. My entire family was affected, especially my adult sons. There has to be some legal recourse. I eventually dropped out of the city council race because due to all this,my family who was financing my campaign, feared for what the next move some horrible person would make and declined to finance my campaign.So, I am out of a campaign, also.More than anything, is the emotional distress, pain and suffering it put me and my family under. Can I find out who accused me and can I get a copy of the report where I, personally, was accused. They kept my car for about a week and a half, and I got it back all wrapped up in crime tape, but does not look like my car was ever investigated, just kept in a lot somewhere. I KNOW this was a cruel person who did this and they need to be held liable. Can you help me. I am in California. What advice can you provide?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Where did this happen?

Which agency arrested you?

Did they have an arrest warrant?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Accident happened on the freeway in Concord, ca. I was arrested in Martinez, ca. This was done by the California Highway Patrol.they peoduced a search warrant when we arrived at the California Hwy Patrol office in Martinez, CA
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

Did they have an arrest warrant?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can we talk tomorrow? I am in bed already and want to be fully alert. The situation was HORRIBLE.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

That's fine.

The form for requesting a CHP collision report is posted at

and the instructions are posted at

Where the form says "other party of interest" you can write that you were arrested in connection with this incident.

Do you have a copy of the search warrant? Was it issued by the Court in Martinez?

I'll check back here in the afternoon.