How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 2174
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was diagnosed with colon cancer 4 years ago at the age of

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with colon cancer 4 years ago at the age of 43 which is much too young for this type of cancer. It was recently discovered that my mothers house and neighborhood was built on contaminated land and nobody was made aware of it. It is now a national Superfund site and the EPA is there testing the soil all over the neighborhood and has already begun to replace the soil. I lived at my mothers for 2 years while going to college 15 years ago then enlisted in the Military in september 2001. I returned in 2005 and spent one more year living in her home before I purchased my own. I had dug in her yard and removed an old paver patio in 2000 working in the dirt. In 2005 when returning from military I had built a shed and did some digging with that as well as doing a significant amount of digging while doing landscaping there. I believe the neighborhood is planning a class action lawsuit. I have stage 3b colon cancer and my mother has breast cancer in which she was diagnosed with one year prior to my diagnoses. Many others in the neighborhood also have cancer. What is my best option? Should I participate in a class action or do a personal lawsuit as I have stage 3b cancer and have been going through hell with it? What type of lawsuit may I do and how much could I receive in damages?, as the township and developers never made anyone aware that this property was once a site where old car batteries and other chemicals were dumped by the previous land owner who had many connections in the township.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation. At this point, you should probably pursue a claim on behalf of yourself and your mother. You need to identify who the responsible party is. Was there a factory dumping chemicals or the city? I would contact an attorney who specializes in toxic torts locally who could help identify the responsible party.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was expecting a bit more information. We know the company who dumped there. We don't know yet what kind of knowledge the twp had of this dumping. But the twp should have required soil testing before granting a sale of the land or permits to develop. If they did, then they swept it under the rug as I know the owners who dumped there had many friends and connections within the twp. I'm also curious if this lawsuit could be in the millions for my pain and suffering as it was torture trying to recover from colon removal. If I had to go through it again I would choose death. I still have incontinence which interferes with my personal life and career. I guess the question would be, at what level must I prove that this cancer was caused by these contaminants? There is no way to prove 100% that this was the cause, is there? And if can't prove 100% then do I have a case at all? It is likely that this was the cause. I mean tobacco companies have been sued for billions but there is no proof that their products have been the sole cause of claim to illness that they paid for either. Do you feel I could have a case in the thousands, 10's of thousands, 100's of thousands, or millions?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

It is difficult to estimate your damages but your medical costs x2 or x3 is a typical settlement.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am more than happy to answer any specific questions or even talk by phone for an additional charge.