Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Howdy! In car accident was not at fault, no question. Other

Customer Question

Howdy!
In car accident was not at fault, no question. Other person who caused accident was texting while driving and was severely distracted for the way this happened. No one was injured, though I went ER to get looked at by doctor.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question for me about the situation you have described in your post?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there an appropriate legal action to pursue compensation for missed work, property, or negligence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there an appropriate legal action to pursue compensation for missed work, property, or negligence

Thank you for your follow up.

Were you injured as a result of the accident?

How many work days did you miss?

Did you have full insurance coverage on your vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Minor back pain and marks abrasion marks on back. Thankfully I was in a newer model rental car with fancy airbags. Missed 8 days from work, and potential business from missing appointments. Rental car company refused to reprovide rental car when I was 1800 miles from home.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you purchase insurance from the rental company or do you have personal auto insurance that would cover the damaged vehicle, etc...?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess bc not my fault, I was not liable for rental car damage.

Thank you for your follow up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking mostly concerning bc at fault driver ran stop sign while texting and could have injured/killed me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i did not purchase additional insurance from agency
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in md illegal to text and drive

I am afraid that I wouldn't be able to further answer your question, so I will opt-out of your question at no charge to you and will open your question up to other JustAnswer.com legal professionals.

Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and

looking forward to assisting you today.

I'm only going to be online for a few more minutes, then I'll be back tomorrow morning.

How do you know the other driver was texting? Did he admit it? Did the officer put that on the "accident" report?

Did you file a claim against the other driver's insurance?

Also, if you were going to put a monetary value on your damages that you could prove via paperwork, etc. what would that value be?

I'll be back tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry - I did not witness driver texting but ran stop sign to main road really fast, without braking and the other side of the road/intersection they were using was closed to thru traffic, dangerous disregard of many signs including stop sign while speeding across intersection, then impacting into me in rental car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did not see police report filed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was contacted and filed a claim with other drivers insurance, they sent letter for $1400 settlement.The meetings I missed could have been $15K in work for my business, and the inconveince it put me in so far from my home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i went to er to see doctor, missed meetings, and had no transportion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20K?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to check back with you before I go to sleep, you mention the meetings could have been worth $15k. How would you prove that they actually would have been worth that?

Also, is there a reason you couldn't have rented another car, rescheduled, etc.?

We will need to discuss what is known as a duty to mitigate tomorrow.