How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fired a MD being beneficial to the improvement of my

Customer Question

I fired a MD for not being beneficial to the improvement of my health physically or mentally. I threatened to file a complaint with the Kansas medical board in light of her conduct. When I tried to acquire another MD at KU I find I cannot because of something she has put in my file apparently. Because of this I end up in a ICU facility for 18 days with a pancreas attack. The same thing I was trying talk to her about when I terminated her
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The first thing to do here is to request a copy of your medical file so that you know what it is that she said. In Kansas you have the right to see and get a copy of your medical record. Your health care provider usually must let you see your medical record or give you a copy of it no later than 30 days after they receive your request.

Second, you have the right to add your own short statement to your medical record to make it more complete or accurate. I would do this to clarify whatever negative comment that she may have put.

Third, you may be able to sue her for defamation. To win a defamation lawsuit in Kansas, you must prove that the statement she made in the record is false and that it caused material or reputational harm to you; and that she acted either negligently or with actual malice in making the statement.