How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 764
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I can not convince a lawyer to file a Medical Malpractice

Customer Question

I can not convince a lawyer to file a Medical Malpractice case for me. I wish to file one as a citizen?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Hello. I am sorry you are having difficulty finding someone to file the case. Sure you can file a case, but medical malpractice cases are extremely complex and require a medical expert who usually costs tens of thousands of dollars. Many attorneys would struggle through their first medical malpractice case on their own. I think it would be extremely difficult to successfully litigate such a case on your own.

Also, something to think about, if you can't convince a lawyer to take your case, it might suggest that your case is not very strong in their opinion. There may be some value to that in considering what you want to do. Does that make sense?

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich