How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney with experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury matters.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My best friend has what seems to be an allergic reaction

Customer Question

My best friend has what seems to be an allergic reaction whenever near cigarettes. Even if it's in passing or someone in the car next to her is smoking with the window down. It doesn't take much anymore for it to effect her. it keeps her from going out much because it seems like everyone smokes. It also has been a reason for leaving previous jobs.. she goes to the doctors if she is exposed, and they always prescribe her prednisone. Wich isn't a healthy drug to be on all the time it destroys your liver, and also can cause depression and suicidal tendencies. We're currently looking into going to the university of Utah to see if they can help figure something else out so she doesn't have to be on these terrible pills the rest of her life. But someone mentioned a lawsuit against the tobacco companies for all that she is going through.. not sure how to go about getting information on that though. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nv
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No this is something we've just recently started looking into..
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Personal Injury Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

While there is a possibility of suing a tobacco company or companies for this kind of second hand smoke liability, this kind of suit is not common (there are stories of such suits, but these are truly the exception to the rule).

Your friend's severe reaction may be a case in which an attorney would be willing to take such a case, but your friend would have to expect to put a fair amount of time into simply finding an attorney or firm that is willing to take the case (I doubt your friend is willing to invest the money into financing the litigation herself, so the law firm would have to be willing to invest a substantial amount of capital and time into the litigation - they would have to determine that your friend's case is worth this risk).

So I would "cast a wide net" - meaning contact plaintiff's law, toxic tort, and similar attorneys that practice statewide throughout the state in which she currently lives.

You can find attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

You can find general information on second hand smoke litigation here: