Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I dated a chiropractor who was having an affair with s

Customer Question
I dated a chiropractor who...
I dated a chiropractor who was having an affair with his married office manager I texted her from his house I knew of their affair and she headed to the doctors house (with her husband) and started screaming about private medical information in the middle of the street....I couldn't believe it...she yelled "I know for a fact you were institutionalized...you're crazy!" basically she was making fun of the fact I spent time in a hospital with severe depression after the death of my late husband. She also yelled "you have a rap sheet this long"...I've never had any legal issues? What can I do? The affair was a personal issue between her the doctor and me...using her access to my medical info was professional and I'm in shock about this...it's been 5 months and I'm afraid time may be running out..these people do scare me they are bullies and very confrontational...but my psychologist is adamant that this was a violation of hipaa and I should report it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
6/1/2016
Personal Injury Lawyer: JD 1992, Attorney replied 1 year ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Specific ...yes is it a violation and what should or can I do about it?

Yes, it is a HIPAA violation to reveal personal information in public like that. No question.

As to what you can do, the only option is to file complaints with the licensing agencies, your state's AG, or the Department of Health and Human Services, Civil Rights Division.

You can't file a private lawsuit under HIPAA, the courts have stated it is not allowed.

As to whether you should do it or not, that's a personal decision but you must file your complaints within 180 days or they can't be pursued under HIPAA although the state licensing agency can still sanction the chiropractor for his staff.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to make sure all of your questions are answered completely.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I don't really understand so what will happen to anyone...anything...is it worth my time...because this has really taken a toll on me emotionally...that someone with access to my private information can just divulge it publicly with no personal penalty to them?

The most that is likely to happen is that there will be a sanction of some kind issued to the chiropractor himself. I've never seen a state AG pursue a case where there is just one episode of a disclosure and the Dept of HHS isn't terribly active.

You're not likely to get much out of it, other than maybe some personal satisfaction.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Attorney