How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On Friday I fell and hurt my right fingers and left wrist.

Customer Question

On Friday I fell and hurt my right fingers and left wrist. I went to the hospital to get them x-rayed. After about two hours or more they had been x-rayed and I was told that nothing was broken but that I would be given the name of a hand surgeon. I was never given that name. After another hour or so a guy came in and wrapped my right hand and left wrist.
My right hand began to throb and the pain intensified as the minutes passed. My heartbeat became irregular, my chest began to hurt, and I felt nauseated. No one was paying any attention to me. I got up and walked home. A 20 minute walk. Since my right hand was only hurting worse, I took off the wrap and immediately felt better. I did not know that my left wrist wrap was a problem but by Saturday afternoon it was itching and so I took it off. It has continued to inch intensely so that I am getting very little sleep.
What will happen if I call the hospital and tell them I want to come by and get "my" x-rays?
Generally speaking, in a case like this, do I have any recourse other than paying them and thanking them for their excellent service?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to have a legal case, you will need a doctor in NV to testify that the treatment you received was below the reasonable standard of care. The NV law requires that a medical expert testify as to how alleged negligence occurred showing a deviation from the standard of care. Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 41A.100.
You are entitled to your x-rays, they must give them to you pursuant to HIPAA. As far as paying them, if you find a doctor that states the care you received was a deviation from the standard of care, then you can sue for malpractice and seek to recover the cost of services and any damage they caused you to incur.