How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Being sued by insurance con damage of $8,400..i had no

Customer Question

being sued by insurance con for property damage of $8,400..i had no insurance, it had just canceled for lack of payment...i was convicted of a dui, it was 2 years ago. i currently have no money, in school full time. i only have a car worth 1,700.00 that i drive to school in. i go to court tomorrow. i have 5 character letters and proof of being full time student..but need advice
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: wondering what I can do to get amount lowered and to get affordable payments...hoping to find weekend work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Personal Injury Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: its propery demage...a car i hit
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the law says you are mandated to have insurance and if you do not have insurance, then you are liable for that damage. Character letters does not get you out of liability for the damage I am afraid. If you do not pay for the damage, then the next step is the insurance company will file with the DMV to place a lien on your license. This means you would not be able to get another license until it is paid off.
If you cannot afford this, most times the insurance company will agree to take reasonable payments and if you contact them they will agree to set those up. However, if you cannot get the payments to be reasonable by the insurance company, you may need to consider bankruptcy to get this debt extinguished.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions