Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

My boyfriend is in the middle of a criminal court case and…

Customer Question
My boyfriend is in...

My boyfriend is in the middle of a criminal court case and the lawyer we hired has failed to defened his case by not bringing anything to court no supenas for witness (when I quested why not he said oh the DA already supenoaed all the witness which led us to a witness who had information that proved the "victim" lied on the stand was dismissed by the DA and never called because we had no witness then he cannot show me any type of actual work or research he has done or any thing to show he has spent any time on the case because everything he says was verbal and he didn't follow up with written corr and I asked for a copy of our file and it only has the police report and prelim pleadings he now is saying we should find new attorney

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
2/25/2016
Personal Injury Lawyer: Christopher B, Esq, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Christopher B, Esq

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

It sounds like to me that you want to file a legal malpractice claim. You should first contact the Bar Association in your state and report the attorney for his conduct. If you do want to file a civil case for legal malpractice, will need to prove that the attorney breached his duty and did not perform his obligations as to what an average attorney in his field would perform. You would need to ascertain the damages which might relate to what an average attorney could have done in this case. There would be no damages if your boyfriend would have been convicted no matter what. You will need to have this attorney withdraw from the case if he no longer wants to represent your boyfriend. In that case you would need to find a new attorney. This new attorney might even be able to help you with your legal malpractice case by trying to find out what the previous attorney did with the case.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from.

Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney