How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 118132
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a car accident. And that was my fault. My insurance

Customer Question

I had a car accident. And that was my fault. My insurance only covers 1/3 of the coverage for the other side of damage. And I don't have enough money to pay the gap. What should I do? The other car insurance company will contact me soon.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, they can seek to sue you for the damages. If you cannot pay, they will get a judgment against you and then they will place a lien on your license causing it to be suspended until you repay. If you cannot pay and you do not have any other assets such as a house or car they can seize from you, then you may want to consider filing bankruptcy which would extinguish the debt that you owe as an unsecured creditor (you could protect your home and car in bankruptcy). Once you get the debt extinguished in bankruptcy then they would not be able to place the lien on your license.