How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 32997
Experience:  30 years experience in personal injury law.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know about eviction laws in the state of MD.

Customer Question

Hello again! I wanted to know about eviction laws in the state of MD. According to my family, friends, doctor, and an abuse helpline I am in an emotionally and mentally abusive relationship. I am a bit in denial about it.I've asked him to leave multiple times, we argue, and either refuses to leave or charms himself into me forgiving him momentarily. After speaking to the abuse helpline they informed me in some states if he has lived here longer than two months actually kicking him out may be difficult. I would possibly have to go through an eviction process. He has openly said he is intent on ruining my life legally... and always brings up this lawyer he has, I feel like threatening to sue someone for trying to break up with them is black mail. As we discussed before he still believes he can have the authorities take my dog away. He also wants to sue because very soon into our relationship I contracted several STDs, and none of my previous partners tested positive nor was I showing symptoms prior to us being intimate.Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. Thank you for requesting me.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Once someone establishes residency in your premises you are going to need to treat them, for purposes of eviction, as a month to month tenant.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

This is true even if they pay no rent. You will need to formally terminate their tenancy with one month's written notice termination.

Then you will file a petition for an ejectment. The judge will issue the order and you will place it with the local sheriff, who will execute the order by removing him from the premises, along with his personal property.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Anytime you go to court it is advisable to have an attorney representing your interest. That seems especially true here where your ex seems likely to resist all efforts to remove him.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.