Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years litigation experience
19958803

I am being sued by a tenant that I had over 15 years ago

Customer Question

I am being sued by a tenant that I had over 15 years ago for lead poisoning and I sold this house in 2001 am I still liable for this, I just received a summons today feb. 13 2016 but it stamped recorded in Nov 6 2015
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I would opine no, since this is well beyond the 3 year civil statute of limitations for personal injury. Further, since this was so long ago, there is no way the tenant could prove that it was your house that caused their injuries even if the court allowed them to "toll" the statute of limitations, which means suspend it, until they discovered the injury.

.

So I would opine that you have legal grounds to defend based on the statute of limitations having run long ago.

.

.

thanks