Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

Refusal to am mend medical record of emergency department

Customer Question
visit because patient alleged left...
Refusal to am mend medical record of emergency department visit because patient alleged left against medical advice.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
1/14/2016
Personal Injury Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney

I am happy to help you, but I am not quite understanding your legal question here.

Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under HIPAA, a patient has a right to have their medical chart reflect only truthful information. If your record says you left AMA and you did not leave AMA, then the record could be amended and if the hospital refuses to do so, the only recourse available under HIPAA is you have to file a complaint to the US Department of Health and Human Services, since there is no private right to sue under HIPAA.

You would bear the burden of proving that the patient did not leave contrary to the doctor's wishes. I know you claim the staff was notified of the existing condition and agitation, but you have to still prove to the DHHS that the patient did not ignore medical advice when leaving and DHHS has the final say as to whether or not the chart should be amended under HIPAA.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney