Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I fled the scene of a car accident last night. Should I

Customer Question
i fled the scene of...
i fled the scene of a car accident last night. Should I report to the police? I think only minor property damage to truck that I rear ended
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/15/2015
Personal Injury Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Attorney

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to answer your legal question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Before we proceed, may I ask what state did this occur in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
missouri

Thanks for the information. I am also assuming you did not leave any of your information behind for the owner/driver of the truck, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct

It looks like you have requested a phone call. Unfortunately, I am unable to do this at the moment. If you would like, I can continue with providing you a response here via this post. Would you like to continue with this?

Or, if you would like, I can make an offer to speak over the phone with you if you give me approximately 10 minutes. Just let me know which you would prefer and I would be more than happy to accommodate you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please continue to assist via posting. thanks. should i notify the police?

Actually, I tried to accept your phone request, however I am being informed that your payment did not clear. If you would still like to speak over the phone, perhaps you can check on that payment issue with customer service and I can accept your request.

Otherwise, I will proceed assisting you via this post.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let's proceed via this post. thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
btw, i received notification that I was charged $47

I know you would like me to tell you one way or the other if you should inform the police. However, this is a decision that is all up to you. What I can do is inform you of the consequences should you be discovered, charged and convicted of the crime of Leaving the Scene of an Accident.

A person commits the crime of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident when being the operator or driver of a vehicle on the highway or on any publicly or privately owned parking lot or parking facility generally open for use by the public and knowing that an injury has been caused to a person or damage has been caused to property, due to his culpability or to accident, he leaves the place of the injury, damage or accident without stopping and giving his name, residence, including city and street number, motor vehicle number and driver's license number, if any, to the injured party or to a police officer, or if no police officer is in the vicinity, then to the nearest police station or judicial officer.

This is the actual law in Missouri.

Let me stop right here for one second to inform you that to address any issue regarding billing, you would have to contact Just Answer customer service and inform them of the issue as I do not have any authority to address any billing issue. I can give you a link to the customer service site where you can contact JA using email, chat or the phone. Would you like me to provide this information to you before I continue answering your legal question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i am contacting customer service

Ok. Would you like me to wait until you have the issue resolved before I proceed with your questions regarding the Leaving the Scene of an Accident?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i changed the billing information, please switch to phone call

Thanks for that. I have again tried to accept your call and I, again, have received a prompt informing me that there is an issue with your payment method as the payment did not clear. Perhaps if I wait a few more minutes, it will go through.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i would like to continue with your assistance. thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hopefully, the payment will go through, thanks for your patience

Thanks, ***** ***** do apologize for the confusion with the billing issue.

Back to your legal question, as I stated above, this is the law in Missouri.

This offense is a Class A misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to one year in county jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

Now, if there was:

1) any kind of physical injury to another; or

2) property damage in excess of $1,000; or

3) you have previously plead guilty OR been convicted of this offense

then the offense is a class D felony, which is punishable by up to 4 years in state prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

As you can see, the offense is serious. While many individuals merely panic after an accident and flee, this is not a valid excuse under the law. IF there is evidence that can link you to the crime (eyewitnesses seeing you and writing down your plate number) then you can bet police will be looking for you.

Also, what I discussed above is just the criminal penalties that you may face if convicted.

There are also DL consequences that you can face.

Before I talk about the DL consequences, do you have any questions on what I have provided thus far?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you, ***** ***** answered my questions. you were very helpful.

There is still plenty more to discuss as you can imagine. However, if you would prefer not to discuss the matter, I would respect your decision. If this is the case, please remember to click ACCEPT and leave positive feedback so I may be credited for my assistance (also, please remember that I do not have any control over the billing issues, as I am here to provide answers to legal questions only).

If you would like me to continue the discussion and what options you have, please let me know and I would be happy to do so!

Do you have any follow up questions? If not, please remember to click ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my assistance as that is the only way I can receive credit for spending the time and effort helping you.

Good morning:

Please remember to click ACCEPT for this question.

Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Attorney