Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

Car Insurance Adjuster question. Please bear with me as I

Customer Question
ask these questions. :)A car...
Car Insurance Adjuster question. Please bear with me as I ask these questions. :)A car ran a stop sign in front of me and I managed to maneuver around him and not hit him but sustained damage to my car. My car is sitting at Mechanic and adjuster finally
came to look at it yesterday. I was surprised to see he is an Independent Adjuster for Metro Appraisals. I have Southern Owners, a division of Auto Owners and expected the adjuster to work for them. 1 Is it normal to use Independent Adjusters? Originally did
not think I had full coverage on my car, but luckily I had added it last year. Before I realized this I had told the mechanic to find me 2 used rims. 2 Would insurance pay for new rims? Passenger side tires were ruined, they will pay for those, I decided to
get 4 new tires through Costco. Better price, better coverage, etc. plus vehicle is*****and need to replace all tires at the same time. The mechanic gave me the 2 "new" to me used rims to take to Costco to have the 2 tires installed on rim in order
to get full Costco warranty. Once these are installed I will drive the car back to Costco to have the rest installed. 3 Will they reimburse me for the two tires? I have to order 4 to get the discount. Will this be an issue when I give it to them to reimburse
me or will they simply divide the cost in half for the 2 tires? The buyer has a small crease as I slid into a sign. I feel my car should go to a body shop for this, not just let the mechanics put on a used bumper. 4 How is this usually handled? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
12/1/2015
Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Many insurance companies use separate independent adjuster companies as it is cheaper for them than keeping adjusters on their payroll. So that is not unusual.
The insurance generally must in FL pay for new parts for the vehicle so they are going to have to provide you new rims and new tires as well and would have to pay for all 4 tires because that is necessary to fix the vehicle. Since you cannot drive the vehicle properly with only purchasing 2 tires and that is up to the mechanic to testify to the insurance company about. The issue on all 4 tires is for 4wd the tires all need to be the same.
The insurance company will pay for the dent to be removed only if it can be safely removed, if the dent cannot be removed from the bumper, they have to pay for a new bumper, this is up to the mechanic and you are entitled to a new bumper if it cannot be repaired. The mechanic shop can replace the bumper or you have a right to take it to the body shop.
Thank you for your reply.
I will call the mechanic and the then the insurance company tomorrow. You are saying the mechanic needs to tell him all 4 wheels need replaced at the same time, due to being 4 WD, etc. I bet the mechanic does not even know it is a 4 WD.
I am considering having my car towed from them to another shop. They ordered rims for me, I picked them up, they were wrapped in bubble wrap, drove to Costco, Costco mgr showed me the rims did not match, one was bent and they were from a 2002 and 2004 vehicle to they would not even fit my car properly, a 2001. I was floored.
Drove back to idiots, showed them, they do not match, one is bent and they are from wrong year of car, I need for a 2001. Will not fit properly. Dumb as a bag of rocks, this is what I am dealing with. Worried if I tow somewhere else may be dumber then these. I told them to order new rims and I would get insurance company to pay. Now I have to get them to cough up more money for tires also. I already paid for them today.
Any advice on the best way to phrase this to the insurance supervisor tomorrow? I tend to get angry and not say things right. :)
Thank so much!
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the mechanic needs to tell them all four wheels need to be replaced. If the mechanic does not know from looking at the vehicle that it is 4wd, then you need to take it somewhere else because he is a pretty crappy mechanic, so your assessment of him seems correct.
You can remove it from this mechanic shop and take it wherever you want to take it and you need to explain to the insurance company that you cannot just replace 2 tires on the 4WD because everything will be off balance and it will not handle right. You also need to inform the supervisor you need to remove it from this shop because this mechanic does not even know the proper parts to order for your car and as such you refuse to let him touch it any further.
Thank you.
My car is a 2001, with a rebuilt engine, only about 5,000 miles on it, so I plan on keeping it for awhile. Cheaper to keep her. :)
Anyway, does the insurance company try to use cheaper methods, only 2 tires, used rims, when the vehicle is older?
Thank you for your reply.
The insurance company can look to total a vehicle if the cost of repair is more than 70% of the vehicle's book value and that is how they try to limit the amounts they have to pay.
Just spoke to Dumb, of the Dumb and Dumber Repair shop. Asked him if he knew my car was a 4 WD and you have to replace all 4 tires or the tires will roll at different speeds and will cause components in the vehicles driveline to fail? He said my 2 tires were fine as the tread was good. I stated that their is a big difference between my tires tread and the new ones. He stated to speak to my insurance company as it was their decision. I stated that I need your shop to verify about all 4 tires needing replaced if the insurance company calls.
They are no help. Dumber, Bob, the owner is at Auction and not there for me to speak to till later.
If they are not going to verify, as they are too dumb to know, that all 4 tires need replaced, then the Insurance company probably will not pay for all 4. It is only a few hundred dollars but I feel they should replace them all.
Waiting for Ins co to call back. If she gives me a hard time, and I know I do not have the Mechanic backing me, is their anything else I can do, beside call a few other shops and speak with them reg this situation, see what they say about 4 WD tires and then have my car towed there? I have AAA so no problem with tow. Dumb and Dumber Repair Shop has only ordered the rims, the wrong ones, and yesterday ordered Refurbished rims that hopefully will match, so if I decide to have towed after speaking to Ins co, I should not owe them anything, right? They have my key. Do you think it will be a problem when I have AAA show up to tow and for them to get my key? This is a mess. Thank you for your advice.
You need to call your adjuster and provide him with the information about the car being 4WD and explaining that if you replace only 2 tires there will be an issue and they should agree to pay for the replacement of the other two or at least give you 1/2 of the cost.
YOU have no issue getting AAA to take the car, but if dumb and dumber did any actual work on the car, including taking it apart or diagnosing it they could be entitled to some minimal payment for that work.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney