How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I probably need to ask a lawyer who is familiar with

Customer Question

I probably need to ask a lawyer who is familiar with patient/doctor relationships. My husband has run a concierge practice for six years. Payment is always due the first of September, and one of his patients ignores bills, doesn't call back, I\refuses
to take my calls at his place of employment etc. I am in charge of my husbands membership dues. In the State of Ohio, what is my husband's responsibility to this patient now that we haven't heard from him in over three months, and he hasn't paid. Is he legally
no longer a patient? Or does my husband have to write him a letter stating this? We just aren't sure what the law specifies.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


The applicable OH law is here. I did not find anything special for terminating patients in the concierge practice context under OH law. Basically, state laws and ethical rules prohibit patient abandonment. The patient must be given enough time to find a new and satisfactory physician. So follow the rules set forth at the link I provided. Always remember that the patient must be provided with sufficient time to find alternative care before termination from the practice. Reasonable notice can vary depending on the patient’s medical condition and the difficulty which a patient may have in finding alternative care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He knows about the abandonment part, but the patient decided not to re-join his concierge practice by not paying the fee, so he is asking that since he has known it was a concierge practice from the start, by not paying, like everyone else has to, he shouldn't get the same kind of care and should seek out a regular type physician practice.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

This would fall under the contract for services he signed with your office. What does that say about your right to terminate the patient if he defaults on the payment deadline? Yes, what you are saying makes sense; but to be safe, I would send him a notice that he is no longer eligible for the concierge service and give him time to find alternative care as per the statute.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well they do have to sign a contract when they join. If for personal or financial reasons they need to leave, we never try to collect. So you're probably right, he should still send a letter. Thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

They must have signed something that says what they annual fee is. That would be the contract. But, yes, you can handle this fairly easily by stating that he is past due on the payment and that services will be terminated but that he is being given time to find an alternate provider.