How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is not happy with the lawyer that she has

Customer Question

My girlfriend is not happy with the lawyer that she has for personal injury. She is in the process of finding a new lawyer one. She obtained the document for 'Substitution of Attorney' (MC-050), but does not know how to fire her attorney. Can she simply
send her layer an email stating that she wants to terminate his services and attach the SOA form for her lawyer to fill out and sign or will an email suffice and later send the SOA document (who should fill out the SOA document as there is information on the
document that she may not know)? She doesn't want to have to keep her lawyer until she finds a new one.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I would not suggest that your girlfriend fire her attorney until she has another one in place. This is to protect her case in the event that the court or opposing party does something that requires her attorney to act on her behalf.

Her new attorney will handle getting the case file and get the Substitution of Attorney on file with the court. Your girlfriend needs do nothing.

Only if she intends to represent herself would she write a letter to her attorney terminating their service and in that case her present attorney will file the Substitution of Attorney form with the court, leaving her to act on her own behalf until she gets a new attorney if she chooses to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,