How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1117
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know how to initiate a medical malpractice claim

Customer Question

I need to know how to initiate a medical malpractice claim on my own. In the past 6 months I have contacted over 2 dozen attorneys and not one will consult with me. I have all my medical records from the doctor as well as MRI and Xrays from before and after the surgery. However, i have not been able to seek medical care since the surgery 2 years ago and I belive this is why no attorney will consult with me. Is a doctors assessment required? Also, if it is too late to file a medical malpractice claim, is it possible to sue the doctor personally? This man mutilated my body and destroyed my future and h needs to be held accountable. Thank you for your assistance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.

Florida has a two-year statute of limitations for claims for medical malpractice. So if the surgery was more than 2 years ago, you will not be able to bring that claim. Yes, a doctor's assessment is required. Expert testimony is required from a doctor who, at a minimum, has reviewed all your medical records and concluded that the doctor who did your surgery fell below the standard of care and that his negligence is the cause of your damages. A medical malpractice claim would be a suit against the doctor personally, as well as an corporate entities you find responsible. The only way around the statute would be if you did not discover the malpractice for some time after the surgery, and you could not have reasonably discovered it until you did. You need an attorney though. It is very complex, and a lot of money is needed to pay the expert witnesses and gather discovery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am out of luck and this quack gets to enjoy his life while I am condemned to a future of pain. It speaks volumes about lawyers when the law is constructed to protect doctors and not the public. Thanks
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for what happened to you and that the law in Florida does not favor you in this situation. However, I would hope that you would not blame me for telling you the truth, nor blame lawyers generally for the state of the law. Lawyers do not write the laws. Legislators write laws to protect doctors from litigation. They call it "tort reform" and say it is needed because of all the greedy lawyers who want to sue everyone, such that the doctors can not afford malpractice insurance. Sure, there are some lawyers in the legislatures, but lawyers mostly fight AGAINST tort reform and against short statutes of limitations because lawyers want to be able to sue doctors when they screw up, myself included.