Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Is a complaint to a regulatory agency, and law enforcement

Customer Question

Is a complaint to a regulatory agency, and law enforcement agencies, a qualified privilege against defamation lawsuits?
I discovered, from a third party, that a former employer was engaging in what appears to be illegal behavior. It certainly is red-flag stuff, seemingly unethical, unlawful, and the type of thing I want to report to a law enforcement and regulatory agency. The evidence consists of emails and photocopies that the third party handed to me, showing what appears a pattern of the alleged behavior.
I want to submit this stuff to a law enforcement agency, as well as appropriate regulatory agencies that pertain to this company. Should I do so, am I protected from defamation suits?
While I dislike this former employer, and I am happy to expose their unlawful behavior, I am not making these accusations without basis. I have good faith belief that the evidence is real, and demonstrates illegal behavior, especially if a law enforcement agency or regulatory agency were to investigate further.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Those complaints are not subject to a defamation claim. They are immune.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

If made before the filing, to third parties those are not protected.