How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Personal inj/family/criminal law: I recently discovered I've

Customer Question

Personal inj/family/criminal law: I recently discovered I've fallen victim to psychopathic abuse in my recent same sex relationship with a younger man. At first it was great and slowly he began to hurt me with statements and behaviors that left me frustrated and doubtful. He always challenged my financial ability to provide and provide above his then current domestic partnership. He promised to marry me and leave his partner if I could provide him a car (which he had with his partner) . I struggled and finally acquired a $55k Lexus. I tried to present it to him on three different occasions upon which he was verbally abusive calling me a liar and stating I did not nor could not acquire that vehicle. He has left me in a financial and emotional mess sending me photos of he and another man (not his partner) having intercourse. Indications are he began the relationship a week prior to my acquiring the car. I have recently learned he has an online account and engages in prostitution on the side . I'm a mess as u loved him. Do I have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, unless the person engages in some type of criminal or illegal behavior, mind games, "games of heart" or manipulations by one lover of another would not generally amount to a legal claim and it is generally possible to formally demand for the abusive ex-lover to stop any and all communications and if he continues, then report to police can be made for harassment and/or stalking and also a restraining order might be obtained to keep the ex and his abuse away from the victim.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well that is the whole point I need you to expand upon. He did play mind games, manipulations and games of the heart if my understanding of mental/emotional abuse and psychopathic abuse is accurate. If those things did occur which led to my loss of self respect, self control of my finances and loss of a job, what recourse do I have that will make him accountable for his playing with me heart. He fits the image of a psychopathic abuser to the definition and described behaviors. I have the text to prove it. So please hear in my original question that I am asking what my options are beyond that which you state in your reply.. Please help me with more than i already knew.
Respectfully *****
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, emotional and/or mental/psychological abuse is often present in relationships and unfortunately, while such behavior is clearly morally wrong, it would not be illegal, unless the abuser engaged in some type of violence or physical abuse or some other criminal behavior / actions. For example. if the abuser put a gun to his partner's head or threatened to kill his partner, if the partner did purchase a luxury vehicle for him, such actions would be clearly actionable, both civilly and criminally. Unfortunately, because you were a willing participant in this relationship, and allowed this person to manipulate / emotionally abuse you, such situation would not be viewed as illegal, unless the victim was minor child or an adult who was declared by the court to be legally incompetent during the time the abusive relationship took place.

I understand that this is not an answer you want to hear or were hoping for, but unfortunately, generally, the only recourse would be to demand for the abuser to stop any and all communications and if abuser continues to communicate with the victim, then criminal charges / restraining order can be pursued.

I wish you the best of luck!

Related Personal Injury Law Questions