Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I live in Texas and my family and co-workers are suggesting

Customer Question

Hi. I live in Texas and my family and co-workers are suggesting i sue my OB GYN. I don't know anything about this so I don't even know what I would be suing him for. Anyways, Here's the story. In April I had my first baby. I was induced at 9:30-ish in
the morning and delivered my baby at 9:48 pm. My baby was head down, but her wasn't face down, so the nurses spent a while trying to turn her while I was pushing, but they were unsuccessful. I was so tired and in so much pain(my mother-in-law who was in the
delivery room with me says she thinks they did the epidural wrong or something, because I was picking my legs up on my own to push and she said I shouldn't have been able to do that, but she's not a doctor or anything so who knows) that I honestly don't remember
how long I was pushing or how long it took for the doctor to arrive, but when the nurses called the Dr. to come I remember it taking a while and then the nurses said it would be even longer, because the Dr. was in an emergency C-section at the time. Some of
my family members have stated that I should have had a C-section at that point, but I don't know. When the Dr. arrived he informed me he would have to use tongs to pull my baby out. After everything was said and done I had a third degree tear and was sewn
up. I stayed in the hospital a few days and went home. A few weeks after being home I noticed, what i referred to as, a lump right next to my stitches. The Dr. examined and said my stitches were infected and I had a fistula. He said I had a small hole in my
perineum and a small hole in my vagina with a tunnel in between. He told me to wait until July to do surgery on this, something about waiting three months after delivery so the skin would be....better..?.. can't remember the exact word he used. July 16 I had
a surgery where he said he would basically open me up, clean me out, and close me back up(can't remember all the professional terms he used). About two weeks later I started feeling that same "lump" feeling as before, only in a slightly different place. I
told my Dr., he examined, and stated I had an abscess and it was draining puss near my vagina. He put me on anti-biotics and not long after, I noticed the abscess hurt the most when I had a bowel movement. I asked my Dr. if he thought my feces could be getting
into the abscess, since it seemed to hurt more when having a bowel movement. He asked if feces was coming from the area with the puss. I had not seen any feces so I stated no. He stated, since there was no feces coming out, the feces was not getting into the
abscess. One day, soon after, I had a bowel movement and was in so much pain that I called to make an appointment to see him that day, even though his office an hour and fifteen minutes away from me. I called in the morning and had to wait until 2 pm to see
him. He drained the abscess and sent me on my way. Shortly after, I visited him and he inserted, what he called, some sort of, drain into the area I was draining from. I went home and that night, I had a bowel movement and had a weird feeling near my vagina.
I got a mirror and looked and sure enough, there was a big blob of feces(sorry t.m.i.), and the drain thing fell out. The next visit I had with the Dr., I told him about this and he set me up an appointment with a G.I doctor for that Thursday. I ended up not
being able to go to the appointment Thursday, due to my insurance not paying for the appointment without a referral from my PCP, so I had to see my PCP that Thursday and reschedule an appointment for two weeks later. The day before my appointment, my Dr. called
me and told me he had been talking to some other Dr.'s and he found a colon specialist in Dallas for me to see. I made an appointment for them that Monday and when I went to see them, they checked me, said I had an anal fistula and put me on anti-biotics(which,
if I'm not wrong, are the same anti-biotics my Dr. put me on when he said I had a fistula)....and here we are. I just want to add, for around three months of this I was not getting paid, because I had to miss work. When I say Dr., I am referring to OB GYN.
Sorry, not going back to change all of them. Sorry this is so long. I hope you can give me some sort of insight on this whole thing.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I didn't really ask a question in this. My question is, should I sue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, if you honestly think this isn't worth pursuing, I would also like to know.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.

How much are your damages?