How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 27099
Experience:  17 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a civil case against the county officer and also

Customer Question

I have a civil case against the Gonzales county officer and also for Gonzales police department. I do have a recording of their abuse. They asked my brother to turn off his phone and for him to give his cell phone to them. He didn't! I have an implant attached to my stomach, my stomach is paralyzed. The officer kept calling me a liar, he punched me on my stomach threw me in the ground and sat on my stomach. My brother called the EMS, but the officer would not let me go. He kept saying that I will be charged with assault on a police officer. They threw me on his suv on my left side, which my implant is on that side. I asked them to loosing up the handcuffs and to help me sit instead of laying on my side where my implant is at. At that moment the police officer, punched me in the head, closed fist on my right side, and left side punch was on my cheeks, he grabbed me by my hair and threw me all the way down, and fell on my left where my implant is at, two other officers showed up and they were kicking me on the sides and would kick my face down on the ground. They asked my brother to stop recording and to give up his cell phone, he told them them no and asked if they had a search warrant. I was in a lot of pain. The officer that kept hitting me took me to the ER hospital, while telling me all the time that I assaulted, that it is a felony and as soon as I was released , he was going to arrest me. They kept calling me a liar about my pain, my implant etc. When I was xrayed they saw my implant and I showed them my scar where my implant is in a pocket. The sargeant walked outside of the exam room, talked to the officer that beat me up. The officer removed my the handcuff's, told me he was not going to book me or arrest me, because of my health. That right there is a sure sign that they know they messed up. I am a 52 year old woman and I weigh 120 lbs. I have the video with me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question.

Police have limited immunity from suit or prosecution when acting in the line of duty. But this has all the hallmarks of a police brutality matter. What you need is a civil rights lawyer and you want to find him sooner rather than later while the extent of your injuries are still obvious.

We are not able to represent with your matters because JustAnswer is not a law firm and our bar associations would not allow it. It is also against the site's terms and services for us to refer you directly to a particular lawyer or law firms. I can, however, direct you to the same sources that lawyers themselves use when they need to consult with a lawyer in another state or sub specialty and don't know of one.

If you don't know where to find such an attorney you can try the Texas Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of around $50 for the referral, which includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney. For a broader range of options you can also look at, a commercial lawyer referral service with an excellent reputation. Many of Martindale's lawyers are peer and client rated, which can be useful to help refine your choices.

Finally, sometimes it's difficult to find local lawyers who are willing to go head to head with police. So it's not a bad idea to contact the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU specializes in civil rights issues and they have branches all over the country. They should be able to steer you to someone in your area that is not afraid to try a brutality case.

I'm not sure what your specific question is, as you didn't ask it. But your first step, along with getting your necessary medical treatment and documenting that and your injuries, would be to find a lawyer so that you can proceed. There are frequently notice requirements when you wish to sue the state, county or one of its agencies, and you don't want to miss any timelines.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you cannot recommend anyone?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

No, we are not allowed to make direct referrals. I can only give you the same sources that I would use if I needed to find myself a lawyer in your state. I have provided you with three different reliable resources. If money is an issue, the ACLU would also probably be able to direct you to some lawyers in the area who do other pro bono civil rights work. Also Texas has a lot of law schools, all of whom have clinics. Law students take on clients for course credit under the supervision of a professor/attorney. It's another good way to find low cost representation. You may also be able to find a lawyer to take you on a contingency fee arrangment, which is where all you pay up front is filing fees and expenses and they don't get any more unless they win your case.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions