How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 12937
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine got injured in a car accident. s lawyer has

Customer Question

A friend of mine got injured in a car accident. His lawyer has not given him any documentation as to what is the status of the case? Does not have the court docket number State is NY - County Nassau. How do we search the status of the case on line?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is likely that no lawsuit has yet been filed. In that case, it will be impossible to look up the case online because there is no public record of it. The status of your friend's case should come from his attorney. The attorney has an ethical responsibility to respond to client communications and inquiries in a timely manner. Attorneys can be disciplined by the state bar for failing to do so.

The best course of action in this circumstance is therefore to send the attorney a letter via certified mail inquiring about the status of your case and documenting your previous efforts to contact them. If they still do not respond to this, you can send another certified letter warning that you will file a complaint with the state bar. And if they still don't respond, which at this point would be extremely unlikely, you can actually file a complaint with the state bar. The attorney will likely face discipline in that circumstance.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.